In its 9th year, The Big Bike Film Night will be celebrating cycling in all its glorious shapes and forms on Wednesday 6th September in Wynnum with a programme proclaimed as ‘a feast of short films devised and designed for the two-wheel devotee’.
With its humble beginnings back in 2015, The Big Bike Film Night is now a much-anticipated Film Festival that brings a love of cycling to cinemas, presenting an array of international movies specifically selected by New Zealander Curator/ “Film Pedlar”, Brett Cotter.
“Each year I set out with just one goal – to bring together the best cycling short films from around the world for our audiences – this collection is awe-inspiring and celebrates the fun, the adventure, and inspiration that bikes enable” says Mr Cotter.
“Our stellar 2023 compilation contains 10 mesmerising films that are as varied and diverse as you could hope for. This global programme contains a World Premiere, two fabulous Australian films, and an assortment of international films having their premiere here as well” he says.
Return to Dillon Cone (main photo), set and shot in the rugged coastal Kaikōura ranges in New Zealand opens the bike film night extravaganza up, following a team who have spent five years formulating a dream …an attempt to reach an unridden peak accessible only by river.
The expedition has only one option to get there, taking on the jagged gorges of the Clarence River (Waiau-toa awa) by packraft, and afterwards travelling by mountain bike, in their pursuit of summiting the steep shingle-laden slopes of the imposing Dillon Cone. “It’s adventure and above!” exclaims Mr Cotter.
Also in the treasure chest of films is…
- a delightful young Australian bikepacker’s learnings from her scenic trip to Hell
- a visually commanding film set in postcard Tuscany following a 74-year old rider (and his marvellous moustache) who personifies the spirit of cycling
- two Wynnum schools sharing their insights into how they promote active transport within their school community
- the tale of a rider with a searing thirst for adventure, exploring Iceland’s spectacular interior
- putting the ‘mountain’ into mountain biking – a Scottish highland rider’s eyes are opened to the healing power of the bicycle
- an uplifting film that celebrates a humble volunteer whose community spirit is inspiring and so are the majestic winter views of the trail where he lives
- a moving movie that follows a family that choses to live life to the fullest in the face of adversity
…and rounding out the night, find out what happens when you combine a ultra-distance 320 km gravel race and parenting together over a 24-hour period – ALL in the mix!
“The power of storytelling is at the forefront of what we offer, and the belief that the humble bicycle can improve our health, inspire and uplift people with where it can take us. The event brings together communities with stories that captivate us, stories that make us think, and most importantly of all- inspiring us to get out and ride” says Mr Cotter.
The Big Bike Film Night screens in Wynnum at the Majestic Cinemas Wynnum on Wednesday 6th September, at 7pm.
Win a double pass to The Big Bike Film Night
Just email us at [email protected] with the subject line ‘big bike film night double pass’ by 2pm Wednesday 23rd August and you’ll be in the draw – we will draw a winner at random that day. The winner will be announced on this website the following day (and the winner must of course consent to having their name published on the site and via social media!; plus if we do not hear back from the winner within 48 hours we reserve the right to redraw). Good luck!