Jill McGregor, who works at Retirement Designs in Bay Terrace, is a closet Mad Hatter in her spare time. A short while ago she was keen to get out and socialise, so she set up the Madhatters Ladies Group, open to local ladies over 55 who wanted to do the same thing.
Since March this year, members have been to St Helena Island, learned croquet, Tai Chi & Mahjong in Wynnum, taken afternoon tea in Wynnum, Manly and at Ormiston House and eaten out in Wakerley, Manly and Wynnum, at Indian, Thai, Seafood, Italian and other cafes and restaurants.
Next year the group is getting decidedly more adventurous, with trips planned to Hong Kong, Macau and South America!
Madhatters is a community group with no fees to join, it supports local businesses on its outings and each member organises one function a year. Here’s what they have planned for October…
- Thursday 3rd October – 12 noon – mid week Lunch at Coopers Fish Cafe, 409 Esplanade Manly
- Saturday, 5th October – Edith Street Markets, Wynnum
- Saturday 12th October – 12.45pm Lunch of the Month will be at Café Le Mer, 570 Royal Esplanade Manly –We are hoping for perfect weather, to sit on the deck…
- Sunday 20th October – Part 2 City Historical Walk, included the Roma St Gardens. We will travel by train to Central, visit St Alberts Church then a guided tour of the Town Hall before entering the Roma St Gardens and lunch. The afternoon is a historical mystery, returning around 4pm
- Saturday, 26th October 2.30pm – Madhatters Tea Party, (or coffee/cake) will be at Manly Café, Cambridge Street, Manly
A seven day trip to Hong Kong and Macau, flying from Brisbane on Easter Friday, returning Anzac Day 2014
A four week trip to South America is taking shape and the personalised itinerary and price will be available shortly, leaving Oct 2014.
For enquires about Madhatters, phone Jill on 07 3348 3354 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.